104 F. 409 (9th Cir. 1900), 562., Morris & Whitehead v. East Side Ry. Co.
|Citation:||104 F. 409|
|Party Name:||MORRIS & WHITEHEAD v. EAST SIDE RY. CO. et al. MAXWELL v. SAME.|
|Case Date:||October 01, 1900|
|Court:||United States Courts of Appeals, Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
Ralph E. Moody, Cotton, Teal & Minor, and W. S. Goodfellow, for appellants.
Zera Snow and W. A. Cleland, for appellees.
Before GILBERT and ROSS, Circuit Judges, and HAWLEY, District Judge.
ROSS, Circuit Judge.
The defendant East Side Railway Company is a corporation organized by G. A. and James Steel for the purpose of building and operating certain lines of railway and street railway in and about Portland, Or. G. A. Steel became its president and James Steel its vice president, treasurer, and general manager. Each of them was a director of the corporation, the only other director being John B. Cleland, who was also its secretary, and who held but one share of the stock of the corporation, and that only to qualify him as director. Indeed, it appears that at all the times herein mentioned the two Steels were the real owners of all of the stock of the railway company, 100 shares of which, however, were hypothecated by them as security for an indebtedness to the Bank of British Columbia, and for that purpose stood in the name of George Good as trustee, whose proxy, however, James Steel held. It appears that the company built at least some of the lines of railway for which it was organized, and acquired various rights of way, rolling stock, power house, and other necessary and appurtenant property. Under
resolution of its board of directors, 250 bonds of the par value of $1,000 each were authorized to be issued, secured by a mortgage on its property executed to the Security Savings & Trust Company of Portland as trustee, for the benefit of the holders of the bonds. One hundred and twenty-five only of those bonds were issued, and they were issued and delivered to G. A. and James Steel, who pledged them to the German Savings & Loan Society of San Francisco, Cal., as security for money borrowed by them from that bank at different times, and aggregating about $83,000. The case shows that this money was used by the Steels in and about the building up and operation of the lines of railway mentioned, and that, more money being needed for that purpose, the directors of the company adopted a resolution providing for the issuance of 300 bonds of the par value of $1,000 each, to be secured by a mortgage upon all of the property of the company to the Security Savings & Trust Company of Portland as trustee, to be used in replacing the bonds of the first issue so far as necessary, and the remainder in securing additional money. In pursuance of that resolution, 300 bonds, numbered, respectively, from 1 to 300, both inclusive, were issued on March 1, 1893, secured by a mortgage on all of the property of the company to the Savings & Trust Company as trustee. These bonds were certified by the trustee, and delivered to the railway company. Of them, 125 numbered from 1 to 125, both inclusive, were delivered to James and G. A. Steel in lieu of the 125 bonds of the first issue thereupon surrendered and canceled, and bonds numbered from 131 to 153, both inclusive, were, also for value, delivered to James and G. A. Steel, and bonds numbered 126 to 130, both inclusive, were, for value, delivered to Eva P. Steel, who thereafter authorized James and G. A. Steel, to pledge them to the German Savings & Loan Society of San Francisco, as hereinafter stated. The findings of the court below are to the effect that the remaining bonds of the last-mentioned issue, numbered from 154 to 300, both inclusive, 'were by the East Side Railway Company delivered to James Steel and G. A. Steel, with authority and for the sole purpose of permitting the pledge of the same as security for the loan of $80,000 made in their names for the benefit of the East Side Railway Company. ' By each of the 300 bonds the railway company promised to pay to the bearer, or, in case the bond should be registered, then to the registered owner thereof, the sum of $1,000 in United States gold coin of the then standard weight and fineness, at the office of the trustee in the city of Portland on the 1st day of March, 1923, together with interest thereon at the rate of 6 per cent. per annum, payable semi-annually, in like gold coin, on the 1st days of March and September in each year, on the presentation and surrender of the respective interest coupons annexed to the bonds, and to pay the same at the office of the Security Savings & Trust Company in Portland. The mortgage securing the bonds was duly recorded in the office of the county recorder of the county in which the property was situated. In addition to the then existing indebtedness of $3,000 due from the Steels to the German Savings & Loan Society that banking institution agreed to, and did, on April 1, 1893, loan them $80,000.
The old indebtedness was on that day evidenced by a new note executed by G. A. and James Steel for $83,000, with interest thereon at the rate of 7 per cent. per annum, payable monthly; and for the additional loan of $80,000, at like interest, they also executed their promissory note, bearing the same rate of interest. As security for the payment of these notes, both of which were made payable in San Francisco, Cal., the Steels, by instruments in writing, pledged all of the 300 bonds issued by the East Side Railway Company. The findings of the court below are to the effect that the intention of the parties was that the bonds numbered from 1 to 153, both inclusive, should be given and held as security for the $83,000 note, and that the bonds numbered from 154 to 300, both inclusive, should be given and held as security for the $80,000 note, but that by mutual mistake of the parties the reverse occurred. Each of the contracts of pledge appointed the Savings & Loan Society attorney in fact of the pledgor...
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP