318 U.S. 332 (1943), 25, McNabb v. United States

Docket Nº:No. 25
Citation:318 U.S. 332, 63 S.Ct. 608, 87 L.Ed. 819
Party Name:McNabb v. United States
Case Date:March 01, 1943
Court:United States Supreme Court

Page 332

318 U.S. 332 (1943)

63 S.Ct. 608, 87 L.Ed. 819



United States

No. 25

United States Supreme Court

March 1, 1943

Argued October 22, 1942




1. The power of this Court upon review of convictions in the federal courts is not limited to the determination of the constitutional validity of such convictions. P. 340.

2. Judicial supervision of the administration of criminal justice in the federal courts implies the duty of establishing and maintaining civilized standards of procedure and evidence. P. 340.

3. The principles governing the admissibility of evidence in criminal cases in the federal courts are not restricted to those derived solely from the Constitution. P. 341.

4. In the exercise of its authority over the administration of criminal justice in the federal courts, this Court, from its beginning, has formulated applicable rules of evidence; and has been guided therein by considerations of justice not limited to strict canons of evidentiary relevance. P. 341.

5. The circumstances (detailed in the opinion) under which federal officers obtained incriminating statements from the defendants in this case, together with the flagrant disregard of Acts of Congress requiring that accused persons arrested by federal officers be taken before a United States Commissioner or other judicial officer, rendered the evidence thus obtained inadmissible in a criminal prosecution in a federal court, and convictions resting upon such evidence must be set aside. P. 341.

6. Although Congress has not explicitly forbidden the use of evidence so procured, yet to permit such evidence to be made the basis of a conviction in the federal courts would stultify the policy which Congress has enacted into law. P. 345.

123 F.2d 848, reversed.

Certiorari, 316 U.S. 658, to review the affirmance of convictions of second-degree murder for the killing of a federal officer while he was engaged in the performance of his official duties, 18 U.S.C. § 253.

Page 333

FRANKFURTER, J., lead opinion

MR. JUSTICE FRANKFURTER, delivered the opinion of the Court.

The petitioners are under sentence of imprisonment for forty-five years for the murder of an officer of the Alcohol Tax Unit of the Bureau of Internal Revenue engaged in the performance of his official duties. 18 U.S.C. § 253. They were convicted of second-degree murder in the District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and, on appeal to the Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the convictions were sustained. 123 F.2d 848. We brought the case here because the petition for certiorari presented serious questions in the administration of federal criminal justice. 316 U.S. 658. Determination of these questions turns upon the circumstances relating to the admission in evidence of incriminating statements made by the petitioners.

On the afternoon of Wednesday, July 31, 1940, information was received at the Chattanooga office of the Alcoholic Tax Unit that several members of the McNabb family were planning to sell that night whiskey on which federal taxes had not been paid. The McNabbs were a clan of Tennessee mountaineers living about twelve miles from Chattanooga in a section known as the McNabb Settlement. Plans were made to apprehend the McNabbs while actually engaged in their illicit enterprise. That evening, four revenue agents, accompanied by the Government's informers, drove to the McNabb Settlement. When they approached the rendezvous arranged between the McNabbs and the informers, the officers got out of the car. The informers drove on and met five of the McNabbs, of whom three -- the twin brothers Freeman and Raymond, and their cousin Benjamin -- are the petitioners here.

Page 334

(The two others, Emuil and Barney McNabb, were acquitted at the direction of the trial court.) The group proceeded to a spot near the family cemetery where the liquor was hidden. While cans containing whiskey were being loaded into the car, one of the informers flashed a prearranged signal to the officers, who thereupon came running. One of these called out, "All right, boys, federal officers!", and the McNabbs took flight.

Instead of pursuing the McNabbs, the officers began to empty the cans. They heard noises coming from the direction of the cemetery, and, after a short while, a large rock landed at their feet. An officer named Leeper ran into the cemetery. He looked about with his flashlight, but discovered no one. Noticing a couple of whiskey cans there, he began to pour out their contents. Shortly afterwards, the other officers heard a shot; running into the cemetery, they found Leeper on the ground, fatally wounded. A few minutes later -- at about ten o'clock -- he died without having identified his assailant. A second shot slightly wounded another officer. A search of the cemetery proved futile, and the officers left.

About three or four hours later -- between one and two o'clock Thursday morning -- federal officers went to the home of Freeman, Raymond, and Emuil McNabb, and there placed them under arrest. Freeman and Raymond were twenty-five years old. Both had lived in the Settlement all their lives; neither had gone beyond the fourth grade in school; neither had ever been farther from his home than Jasper, twenty-one miles away. Emuil was twenty-two years old. He, too, had lived in the Settlement all his life, and had not gone beyond the second grade.

Immediately upon arrest, Freeman, Raymond, and Emuil were taken directly to the Federal Building at Chattanooga. They were not brought before a United States Commissioner or a judge. Instead, they were placed in a detention room (where there was nothing they

Page 335

could sit or lie down on except the floor), and kept there for about fourteen hours, from three o'clock Thursday morning until five o'clock that afternoon. They were given some sandwiches. They were not permitted to see relatives and friends who attempted to visit them. They had no lawyer. There is no evidence that they requested the assistance of counsel, or that they were told that they were entitled to such assistance.

Barney McNabb, who had been arrested early Thursday morning by the local police, was handed over to the federal authorities about nine or ten o'clock that morning. He was twenty-eight years old; like the other McNabbs, he had spent his entire life in the Settlement, had never gone beyond Jasper, and his schooling stopped at the third grade. Barney was placed in a separate room in the Federal Building, where he was questioned for a short period. The officers then took him to the scene of the killing, brought him back to the Federal Building, questioned him further for about an hour, and finally removed him to the county jail three blocks away.

In the meantime, direction of the investigation had been assumed by H. B. Taylor, district supervisor of the Alcohol Tax Unit, with headquarters at Louisville, Kentucky. Taylor was the Government's chief witness on the central issue of the admissibility of the statements made by the McNabbs. Arriving in Chattanooga early Thursday morning, he spent the day in study of the case before beginning his interrogation of the prisoners. Freeman, Raymond, and Emuil, who had been taken to the county jail about five o'clock Thursday afternoon, were brought back to the Federal Building early that evening. According to Taylor, his questioning of them began at nine o'clock. Other officers set the hour earlier.1

Page 336

Throughout the questioning, most of which was done by Taylor, at least six officers were present. At no time during its course was a lawyer or any relative or friend of the defendants present. Taylor began by telling

each of them before they were questioned that we were Government [63 S.Ct. 611] officers, what we were investigating, and advised them that they did not have to make a statement, that they need not fear force, and that any statement made by them would be used against them, and that they need not answer any questions asked unless they desired to do so.

The men were questioned singly and together. As described by one of the officers, "they would be brought in, be questioned possibly at various times, some of them half an hour, or maybe an hour, or maybe two hours." Taylor testified that the questioning continued until one o'clock in the morning, when the defendants were taken back to the county jail.2

The questioning was resumed Friday morning, probably sometime between nine and ten o'clock.3

They were brought down from the jail several times, how many I don't know. They were questioned one at a time, as we would finish one he, would be sent back and we would try to reconcile the facts they told, connect up the statements they made, and they we would get two of them together. I think, at one time, we probably had all five together trying to reconcile their statements. . . . When

Page 337

I knew the truth, I told the defendants what I knew. I never called them damn liars, but I did say they were lying to me. . . . It would be impossible to tell all the motions I made with my hands during the two days of questioning; however, I didn't threaten anyone. None of the officers were prejudiced towards these defendants, nor bitter toward them. We were only trying to find out who killed our fellow officer.

Benjamin McNabb, the third of the petitioners, came to the office of the Alcohol Tax Unit about eight or nine o'clock Friday morning, and voluntarily surrendered. Benjamin was twenty years old, had never been arrested before, had lived in the McNabb Settlement all his life, and had not got beyond the fourth grade in school. He told the officers that he had heard that they...

To continue reading