73 F. 120 (9th Cir. 1896), 251, Beley v. Naphtaly
|Citation:||73 F. 120|
|Party Name:||BELEY et al. v. NAPHTALY.|
|Case Date:||February 03, 1896|
|Court:||United States Courts of Appeals, Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
H. F. Crane and Philip Teare, for plaintiffs in error.
A. L. Rhodes, for defendant in error.
Before GILBERT and ROSS, Circuit Judges, and MORROW, District Judge.
ROSS, Circuit Judge.
This action was brought by the plaintiff (defendant in error here) to recover the possession of various lots and parcels of land described according to the public surveys of
the United States, situated in Contra Costa county, Cal., and also damages for the withholding thereof, the plaintiff relying for title thereto upon two patents issued by the government of the United States, pursuant to an approved application by him to purchase the lands under and by virtue of the seventh section of the act of congress of July 23, 1866, entitled 'An act to quiet land titles in California' (14 Stat. 218). That section provides:
'That where persons, in good faith and for a valuable consideration, have purchased land of Mexican grantees or assigns, which grants have subsequently been rejected, or where the lands so purchased have been excluded from the final survey of any Mexican grant, and have used, improved, and continued in the actual possession of the same according to the lines of their original purchase, and where no valid adverse right or title (except of the United States) exists, such purchasers may purchase the same after having such lands surveyed under existing laws at the minimum price established by law, upon first making proofs of the facts as required in this section, under regulations to be provided by the commissioner of the general land office.'
The bill of exceptions recites that on the trial, after introducing the patents in evidence, the plaintiff proved that, when he was in the quiet and peaceable possession of the lands, the defendants entered thereon, and ousted the plaintiff therefrom, and have since withheld the lands from him; that the plaintiff also proved the rental value of the premises; and that it was then admitted by the counsel for the defendants that, at the time of the issuance of the patents, the lands in question were public lands of the United States, subject to sale under its laws, and 'that defendants did not propose to connect themselves in any manner or form with the title of the United States to the premises described in the complaint herein (and in the patents), or any part thereof, either by certificate of purchase, patent, or anything of the kind.'
Confessedly, therefore, the defendants are mere naked trespassers. As such, they claimed the right in the court below to attack the validity of the patents issued to the plaintiff in the action, and, for that purpose, offered in evidence the following documents: First. The application of the plaintiff to purchase the lands from the United States, under the pursuant to the provisions of the seventh section of the act of July 23, 1866, which application set forth, among other things, that the lands were included within the exterior limits and formed part of a grant made by the Mexican government in the year 1844 to Inocencio, Jose, and Mariano Romero, three brothers, who presented their claim thereto for confirmation to the board of land commissioners created by the act of congress of 1851 for the ascertainment and settlement of private land claims in California, which claim was rejected by the commission, and afterwards, on appeal, by the United States district court for California and by the supreme court; that in 1846 or 1847 the Romero brothers partitioned the lands claimed by them under the grant, Inocencio taking that part thereof embraced within a certain inclosure, and including the lands sought to be purchased by the applicant; and that Inocencio Romero used and cultivated the same until December 26, 1853, when he sold and conveyed the same, for value, to Domingo Pujol and Francisco Sanjurjo,
who entered into possession of the lands within the inclosure, and used, improved, and continued in the actual possession of those lands, according to the lines of their original purchase, until February 14, 1855, when they sold and conveyed the same, for value, to one J. W. Tice, who entered into the possession thereof, used, improved, and cultivated the same, and continued in the actual possession thereof until August 8, 1859, when he conveyed the same, and transferred the possession thereof to one S. P. Millett; that Millett then entered into the possession of the lands so inclosed, used, improved, and cultivated the same, and continued in the actual possession thereof, according to the lines of the original purchase, until 1868, when he conveyed the same to D. P. Smith, who, in February, 1869, conveyed the same to J. P. Spring, who, in March, 1869, conveyed the same to Martin Clark, who, on May 15, 1876, conveyed the same to the applicant, Naphtaly; that the conveyance to Smith was made, according to the information and belief of the applicant, for the benefit of Millett, and the conveyances to Spring and Clark were made for the benefit of the applicant, who entered into the exclusive possession of the lands, according to the lines of the original purchase made by Pujol and Sanjurjo from Inocencio Romero, according to the information and belief of...
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP