Snow v. State

CourtSupreme Court of Indiana
Citation245 Ind. 423,195 N.E.2d 468
Docket NumberNo. 0-699,0-699
PartiesJ. R. SNOW, Appellant, v. STATE of Indiana, Appellee.
Decision Date18 December 1964

J. R. Snow, pro se.

Edwin K. Steers, Atty. Gen., for appellee.


The record in this case shows that 'appellant' Snow, prior to August 5, 1963, was charged by affidavit with aggravated assault in the Putnam Circuit Court. On August 5, 1963, he pleaded guilty to that charge and thereupon was sentenced to a term in prison from one to five years. The sentence was suspended and appellant was placed on probation. On petition filed by the Prosecuting Attorney, and after a hearing thereon, the trial court revoked appellant's probation on September 11, 1963, and ordered appellant committed to the Indiana State Prison.

Appellant filed with the Clerk of this Court, on November 1, 1963, what is designated as a 'Motion for Extension of Time.' In this, he states that he desires to appeal to this court from the judgment entered against him, in forma pauperis, and asks for a transcript at the State's expense.

In his petition, appellant makes the following statement:

'That Appellant desires to appeal to the Indiana Supreme Court from the aforesaid judgment, and that he desires to and will assign as error in said appeal that, among other things, Appellant's plea of guilty was not freely and understandingly made, and that Appellant was denied the right to be represented by counsel during the trial proceedings and the proceedings to revoke his probation, all in violation of Article 1, Sections 12 and 13, Indiana Constitution, and the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.'

It has been held many times by this court that where a defendant has entered a plea of guilty, or accepted a suspended sentence, there can be no appeal taken from the judgment entered therein. Ledgerwood v. State (1893), 134 Ind. 81, 33 N.E. 631; Meyers v. State (1901), 156 Ind. 388, 59 N.E. 1052; Jackson v. State (1903), 161 Ind. 36, 67 N.E. 690; Carr v. State (1924), 194 Ind. 162, 142 N.E. 378; Sutton v. State (1963), Ind., 191 N.E.2d 104.

As a transcript and assignment of errors may not be filed in this case, appellant's 'Motion for Extension of Time' presents nothing to us. It is therefore ordered that it be stricken from the records in the Clerk's Office.

To continue reading

Request your trial
8 cases
  • Tumulty v. State, 48A02-9409-CR-539
    • United States
    • Indiana Court of Appeals of Indiana
    • 28 Febrero 1995 the past, flatly stated that a direct appeal may not be taken from a guilty plea. See, e.g., Snow v. State (1964), 245 Ind. 423, 424, 195 N.E.2d 468, 469 ("It has been held many times by this court that where a defendant has entered a plea of guilty, or accepted a suspended sentence, the......
  • Frazier v. Lane, Civ. No. 3676.
    • United States
    • United States District Courts. 7th Circuit. United States District Court of Northern District of Indiana
    • 15 Marzo 1968
    ...appropriate." This Rule, along with Rule 2-40, supplanted the formerly-existing writ of error coram nobis. Snow v. State, 245 Ind. 423, 195 N.E.2d 468, 199 N.E.2d 469 Once again, Indiana courts have required that there be a prima facie showing of merit in the appeal sought before it may be ......
  • Dean v. State, 385S123PS
    • United States
    • Indiana Supreme Court of Indiana
    • 27 Octubre 1986
    ...method for challenging a plea of guilty. Pritchard v. State (1965), 246 Ind. 671, 210 N.E.2d 372; Snow v. State (1963), 245 Ind. 423, 195 N.E.2d 468, 199 N.E.2d 469. The proper method is the filing of a petition for post-conviction relief under PC. Rule 1. Lockhart v. State (1971), Ind. , 2......
  • Hathaway v. State, 268S44
    • United States
    • Indiana Supreme Court of Indiana
    • 1 Noviembre 1968
    ...(13) years, the appellant cannot properly filed a motion to withdraw his plea. Appellee cites Snow v. State (1964), 245 Ind. 423, 195 N.E.2d 468, 199 N.E.2d 469, as authority for the legal proposition that after a plea of guilty has been entered the motion must be filed in the trial court w......
  • Request a trial to view additional results

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT